Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Independent Film Festival Is Now One of Nation's Largest- A Moment with Ken Daniels, Director of Fright Night Film Fest in Louisville, KY.


The 5th Annual Fright Night Film Fest of Louisville Kentucky is poised to take yet another step forward on the national stage. Already the largest genre film festival in mid-America, The Fright Night Film Fest is one of the largest events of its kind in the United States.

This year's event, taking place from August 14-16, and based out of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, will feature a host of events and activities for the casual fan and those involved in the world of independent filmmaking.

Indie Movie Masters would like to introduce you to Ken Daniels, the director of the Fright Night Film Fest, so that you can learn a little more about Ken, the history of FNFF, what to expect this year, and even get some insight as to where this excellent annual event is headed.

This is definitely a comprehensive event that is well worth traveling in for. So, without further adieu, let's meet Ken Daniels and go inside the Fright Night Film Fest.
-Stephen Zimmer for Indie Movie Masters Blog, July 15, 2009

SZ: What is your personal background? And what inspired you to start the Fright Night Film Festival?

KD: I've always been into movies. When I was young I wanted to be a special effects wizard and an animator. I was moving to Hollywood. I started with a Super 8 camera.The good ole Bell and Howell. My dad started me out. He taught me how to use it and I started making school book reports in the 8th grade. I hated the essay portion. So my teacher let me read the books and I made several book reports. I made a short film called "A Really Weird Summer". Then I made War of the Worlds in animation. I used clay and the original model kit of the Space Shuttle. I was pretty proud ofthat moment. I went to catholic school at the time, (St. Helen's). I was only supposed to show it to the class we made the book report for, but it turned out that the whole school got to see it. All 500 kids plus. Talk about the coolest thing to a kid that young. The other kids were calling me Kenny "Spielberg". It was great. When I went to High School it stopped and I continued my art.

I also wanted to be a cartoonist and animator. Unfortunately my parents didn't think I could make any money at it so they told me to get a job. I got odd jobs here and there then went into business for myself. After a successful run here in Kentucky I got married in French Lick and my wife and I traveled the country for her job. I got to work on several Film Festivals around the country. The Lake Placid Film Forum was the first one. Then Woodstock Film Festival in 2000. We moved to San Francisco and I worked on some fest's there. We moved to Las Vegas then Phoenix. I was able to meet several B-Movie guy's in Vegas. I was in Ted V. Mikels movie The Cauldron Baptism of the Blood. He used my office in the movie as a police station. I even financed the Premiere of his movie at the Palms Hotel. I met Ray Dennis Steckler shortly after that which was pretty cool for me. Then we moved back home in 2005 and started The Fright Night Film Fest.

I forgot to mention a lot of my family is in the industry. My uncle owns a small studio in Burbank California. He was also an adjunct professor at USC FILM school. He taught Cinematography and Special Effects. He owns an Optical Effects studio in California. The reason I wanted to do this is because I saw a need for genre filmmakers to get the respect they deserve. So we wanted to class it up for the filmmakers. I was really tired of the hipocrasy in the industry when it came to horror or genre films.Horror and cult films are here to stay they will always be around. So we wanted to celebrate all of that culture.


SZ: Tell us about Fright Night Film Festival, as a comprehensive event. In your words, what kind of event is it? What does it offer to a person from the general public, as well as someone from the entertainment industry?

KD: Fright Night is a multi-programmed event with several platforms available. We are considered a film festival with an industry slant. There will be distributers at our show as well as seasoned Hollywood industry people teaching and giving out their information to help upcoming filmmakers. We cover a wide variety of topics and all this includes a music fest called Music Mayhem, an autograph area, a collectible and vendor area as well as a small tattoo fest. This of course includes the most important area, which is the film festival area that includes filmmakers from Canada,London, New York, Los Angeles, Florida, Mexico, Kansas, Texas, Chicago, and too many states to mention. Many filmmakers will be there to share there experiences and to help each other. It's a camaraderie that you have to see to understand.

SZ: How did last year’s event go? How did it match your projections andexpectations?

KD: Last year was a phenomenal experience. I've told several of my closet friends and fan's that for me it was magical. We had a fantastic award ceremony held at the Kentucky Center for the Arts. 4 Limos, skytracker lights flashing skyward and over 4800 people between our 2 locations. It exceeded our expectations.

SZ: The overall event is now one of the largest genre events in this region,and even the nation. Give us the specifics on this achievement, and the level that FNFF has reached.

KD: Well, we just had a great call from Micheal Heine, the founder of The Largest genre film festival in America. He runs The New York Horror Film Festival. We are actually the 3rd Largest genre Film Festival in the country. New York is first, LA is second and Fright Night is 3rd. This is for the Horror genre. So far we have reached international proportions. We've got to add a new category this year for the amount of international submissions we have recieved. So far we are only growing to exceed our expectations.

SZ: How big is the film festival portion of FNFF? How many films do you anticipate screening this year?

KD: Our film festival proportion is 70% of our show. Between our screenings and the seminars it's amazing. Last year we screened 111 films. This year we will screen about 78 films. We've gotten stiffer on our criteria this year.

SZ: Tell us a little about what folks will be able to find in the vendor’s hall. Give us a few examples of some of the more interesting and unique vendors?

Well you can get a tattoo for one or you could by your hard to find DVD, poster or Movie memorabilia. There will even be masked specially made for FrightNight. Celebrities will be there to sign autographs, Make A Wish our charity will be collecting to support that great cause. Lots of artists will be selling their work, as well as commissioning artwork.Several Haunted Houses will be there representing for their Haunt. Authors will be selling their works, and way too many great T-shirtswill be available.

SZ: Give us an idea about the kind of programming and seminars that you have for those interested in independent film?

KD: This Year we will be having several reallyimportant seminars addressing the use of the new HI-DEF 4 K camera's. We'll have the GH-1 camera seminar. We are one of the first in the nation to do this. We'll also have the RED camera here. It's a filmmakers paradise. JD Feigelson, Screenwriter of Dark Night of the Scarecrow, will be talking on how to write the perennial screenplay. Several seminars dealing with acting in the Hollywood System. Casting for film seminar, Special effects seminar in After Effects. Producing seminar straight from Hollywood. The Hollywood way. Several more that will occupy your entire Sunday experience.

SZ: Who are some of the celebrity guests that you are particularly excitedabout hosting this year? (And who are your headline guests?)

KD: Linda Blair, Michael Madsen are really exciting. I have a suprise guest who has never been to any show in the country. William Forsythe is awesome because of his HUGE acting resume. Ted White, who played Jason, is a HUGE FAN favorite, as well as George Wilbur, who up until Rob Zombies H2 is the only guy to play Michael Myers twice. Of course our other guests like Tom ,who is a Star Trek alumni as well as playing Leatherface, Michael Myers and Jason all in one. Who can forget Sybill Danning or Sharon and Clayton Hill.

SZ: Can you share some of the feedback that you have received from past celebrity guests?

KD: Oh yes. We are lucky. Several of our guests are returning again because of how much they love our show. As a matter of fact several testimonials will be up on the site after this show.

SZ: Can you give us a little insight into the vision that you have for this festival in the future? Where do you see it growing and expanding?

KD:I want to grow this show to be one of the top industry shows for filmmakers and music artists, as well as all creative folks. My goal is to provide a profitable location for these folks to learn and grow. I never want to grow stale. It's important to be different from other shows. I've tried to explain to people around the country the differences between the types of shows. We are a film festival that has horror and other genres as it's focus. Some shows are paranormal in nature, while including horror. Other shows like The Wasteland in Ohio is a true Drive Show. They bring some of the most eclectic people around. Chiller is a monster of a show which has a lot of great guests, as well as being the grandfather of most of the horror shows. Monster Mania is a great autograph show. Spooky Empire is a great show for partying and meeting cool people. So every show has a place. Each one is different. So enjoy them all. If you're a filmmaker of our genres, then we are the only real show in this region offering what we offer.

SZ: Are all the events, activities, and screenings at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Louisville?

KD: No, we also have events at Georgetown Drive-In in Indiana.

SZ: What is the cost of attending? And where can someone go to register for the FNFF?

Our costs are cheap. We are still the best bet for the money. Only $20 per day, or $35 for our weekend regular, and $45 for our weekend early pass. Our VIP PASS is on $90 and that includes everything. They can go to www.frightnightfilmfest.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment